Sunday, May 15, 2011

Please Pray for Rory

Rory and Kristen
 For my first real post here I wanted to offer up a special prayer request. Since I was diagnosed with cancer last November 2009, both my wife and I have become much more aware of many others out there who are also enduring the nightmare known as cancer. Through exposure online we came across a good brother in Christ, Rory Wheeler. He has the same kind of cancer I HAD, Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor (DSRCT) -- Sarcoma. As I recall, Rory was diagnosed just after I was; and he has, of course, been undergoing treatment ever since. Rory's case is a bit different than mine; my cancer was self-contained and localized when they found it, meaning it hadn't metastized (which really is not normal). Rory's on the other hand is acting more normal, and by time they found it, it had spread through parts of his abdomen (making most of it inoperable). Currently, Rory is enduring further treatment; he is hooked up with a treatment center in Texas called MDAnderson, and they are equipped to deal with DSRCT (which is rare --- I was treated at OHSU Sarcoma center, which is also equipped to deal with DSRCT). I don't recall the actual name of the medicine they are currently using on Rory, it's not really chemo at this point; instead its a drug intended to starve the cancer cells of any blood (and that's as I recall). I believe at some point they are going to do surgery on Rory (he's already endured some of that in the past), and administer chemo therapy directly to the infected parts of his abdomen. In the mean time we need to continue to pray for our brother, Rory; and also his fiance Kristen (she has a blog where she infrequently --- as she can --- updates Rory's current situation: Blessed Assurance).

Rory in the Hat

Would you please join me in praying for Rory and Kristen on a daily basis? They are both young, and, Lord willing, have a life together in Christ ahead of them! I am praying that our God, the Great Physician, will just touch Rory's body; that the LORD will just miracuously intervene and zap those filthy cancer cells in Rory's body. Let's pray them through this, and let's be persistent together for Rory in prayer. We know that nothing is too difficult for the LORD! He is able!!!

Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You. ~Jeremiah 32.17